Friday, June 06, 2008

Summer Reading Club

Yesterday after the homeschool skate, we stopped off at the library to peruse the books and get the two oldest signed up for the Summer Reading Club. We haven't been to the library much lately because I buy so many great books for the kids that they really don't need any supplimentary material. :) But we always do the reading club, so we checked out some to read. They were beyond excited. I must have done something right, because they both have an insatiable love of reading. :)

In 24 hours Taylor had already read 3 of her 5 books that she checked out! :) It's such a special bond that we share in our love for reading. I can't tell you how exciting it is for me to handpick the best books for her that I remember reading when I was her age. It's such a neat thing. I remember my daddy picking out one of his favorite books as a child, "Rascal" on one of our first trips to the library. I was a bit young for it, so I didn't appreciate it at the time. Now, it's such a sweet memory and the fact that I get the same chance with my own daughter makes it even sweeter. She actually read Rascal last summer and enjoyed it very much. :)

Chandler had fun picking out readers that he can read to himself. He's doing so well. It's a conundrum when it comes to his grade... I never know what to put down. In ELO, he was preschool last year since he wasn't 5 until December. But he did all the K material and more at home! So hmmmm. I think he'll just have to be both. A young 1st grader at home and a smart kindergartner in ELO and sunday school. :) When he gets around his friends, his maturity level tends to be in the younger grade. :)

Posted by Picasa

No comments: