Saturday, November 05, 2005

Old Fashion Family Day

My apple pie. I was so proud of this thing. I made lattice top and then on sprinkled a crumb topping. Mmmm.. so crunchy and yummy. The filling was my own recipe I'd come up with, drawing from several that I'd found on allrecipes.com and what I remembered from Mom's recipe. The only thing I needed to change about the recipe was the apples I used. I used Granny Smith and they were a bit too tart. Next time I'll use Jonathan or Gala. But overall this was the best apple pie I've ever made... or tasted. That's in my very humble opinion, of course! :P The candied peel decoration was made by tossing strips of peel with sugar then letting them dry out on a cookie sheet in the oven overnight.



This one I can't take credit for - it's my mom's recipe and the very best! I HAVE to find a good leaf cookie cutter. Doing it by hand - as pretty as it is -NOT WORTH IT.


Tom's apple pie turned out too dry to win... But it looks really pretty! :) (I secretly sabotaged him by slipping in a extra cup of flour.... shhhh, don't tell)

Chandler was enjoying all the chocolate.... maybe too much. Too much to care about riding the horse anyways. :)


The rocking chair circle. Steff and Dana, this is us in about 15-20 years! Ha!


This was so sweet - they sat playing like that for a long time. I had to take it from far away and crop to get the shot. Brayden is such a ham... if he even sees the camera he starts grinning and won't look at anything else. :)


Swinging - whee!

Sack races!

It takes a lot of concentration to win a checkers competition!

Deb with their guests. Bruce talked Tom into playing this guy (can't remember his name) in horseshoes.... then he ended up winning the whole contest. Tom felt better after that. :)

Kids' hayscramble area... the decorations were so pretty this year!

Brittney Cavel serving the drinks and food. Loved the hat, Brittney!

Beth helping with the kids' games. Love her hat, too... I was really needing one with all the wind that day!

Taylor with Lydia Almeter. Lydia won second in the best costume contest! Go Lydia!
Bobbing for apples! I think she actually got one, too.

The Crowe's daycare - a fenced pen. lol Just kidding!

I believe these young ladies all made their own costumes! Very impressive.Taylor and Bronwyn going fishing for candy. :)


Chandler chasing the pig! At one point the pig was chasing Chandler. It was so funny!
My big strong hubby was the greased pig chase champion for the youth/adult division!! (That's him on the ground) :)
The 7-12 aged kids chasing the pig... and a good look at everyone around the pen watching. It's really neat.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love the comment about the Crowes daycare pen. You need to show them this one.

Ted did the pumpkin pie judging and he definately said yours was the best.

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures!!!
Looks like a fun day, wish we had something like that here. We've been talking about dressing up in pilgrim/indian costumes for Thanksgiving this year. We'll have to get started though! Those are neat costumes! Your pies look delicious, I'm not surprized that they won! I liked Tom's too, of course, we can't let the guys beat in a pie contest, can we??? :-)
I enjoyed all the pictures on your site! I'll have to keep checking back!

Adriana said...

Hey Lila! I'm glad you stopped by... how is your little one doing??