Friday, September 07, 2007

First days of school

This year has gotten off to a really great start. We sit down together for a few hours in the morning and do our book work, then break for lunch. Then the babies lay down for naps and I do reading with Chandler and Taylor reads and/or finishes up book work. Then piano and computer. I found this GREAT site called iknowthat.com. In the span of 30 minutes, Chandler had learned the continents and oceans! I was amazed! Taylor works on the state capitals and multiplication. Taylor is doing 8 subjects a day this year (!) in addition to the basic math, social studies, science, spelling, and English, I'm working in a lot extras like Bible, higher reading comprehension exercises, logic and composition. She's taking it all in stride and loves her school. Even BOTANY, which is the science we're doing day to day to go along with what she'll be doing in ELO. It's really intense, but she enjoys learning the new terms and absorbing the information. I love having such an eager learner.

With Chandler I do math, a unit study thing called Five in a Row that covers many subjects, logic activities, and reading. He's flying through his math and reading. He's already read two words! I love the 100 easy lessons because it give the child results really quickly and gets them excited about reading.

Being pregnant and schooling 2 kids is harder than I thought and the house has suffered because of it. It was pretty behind this morning.... but I have a WONDERFUL friend who helped me remedy that today. :) And I even got school worked in with all the housework we did! :) To quote Amara Forringer, "I so excited!" :)

Chandler working on geography.

Taylor working on her journal page for spelling.

Chandler really stuggles with writing. I hope to greatly improve his fine motor skills by the end of this year. I'm not stressing out about it though because technically he's supposed to be in preschool, but he knows all the preschool stuff already so I'm doing kindergarten with him. :) Except for the writing, he's way ahead of the curve. :)

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Looks like y'all are doing great with schooling! How fun! I'm going to check out the iknowthat.com website for Randall. He enjoys playing on the computer. :-)

I think Chandler's handwriting is really pretty good for his age! Great job to all the schoolers (and teacher!). :-)