Thursday, June 28, 2007

Speaking of Baked French Toast

It tickled me when Jaime brought up Baked French Toast casserole because I'd came across the same recipes a few days before. It was in an article on Christmas brunch (Yes, I'm already listening to Christmas music and starting my planning!) So I made it last night to have this morning, and BOY was it good! :) I tried taking a pic of it in the pan, but it didn't turn out very pretty, so here it is plated on my fancy schmancy paper plate. :) It was the only plain white plate I had... and food photographs so much better on white. :)


It is so rich and yummy. Cream cheese, butter, cream and maple syrup all go into the egg mixture to pour over the bread. The original recipe wasn't quite so indulgent. I can't ever just leave a recipe alone.. I had to tweak it to be able to call it my own. :) I added the butter and sugar and cinnamon and I used Pepperidge Farm cinnamon swirl bread instead of plain white to make it extra decadent. :) It isn't what you would call ADD diet approved... but I'm not going to feel guilty. We haven't started that yet. :)

Here's the recipe ... you know you want to try it!

French Toast Souffle

10 cups cinnamon swirl bread, cubed
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
8 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cinnamon
pinch of salt

2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar


Place bread cubes in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in milk, cream, maple syrup, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until mixture is smooth. Pour cream cheese mixture over the bread; cover, and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, remove souffle from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jaime said...

That sounds very similar to what we had... Well, at least, I know it had the cream cheese in it, too. :-)

I'm jealous of anyone who can tweak a recipe. I can't and I don't. I follow it almost to a "T" unless I've made it millions of times and I feel comfortable guessing on measurements. But, that's as much tweaking as I trust myself to do...

Looks yummy!

Stephanie said...

Come on Jaime, you can't be perfect at EVERYTHING! :P You have to share the perfection.