Thursday, June 28, 2007

Scissors 12/06-06/07

Taylor found Chandler's hamster, Scissors, dead in her cage just now. We have no idea why, she hasn't been sick or anything. It's really sad because Scissors was the one who was the most mild and sweet tempered of the two hamsters and the one we always played with. We nursed her back to health when she and her sister had been fighting and her eye was badly cut and infected. I got very attached to her because of that. Taylor seems to be handling it fine, other than being a little distraught over finding her dead and stiff when she thought she was just sleeping. I don't know how I'm going to tell Chandler. He's not particularly sensitive so he may not even react. He talks about dying a lot though and doesn't like the concept, so it may upset him.

As for me, I'm a basketcase. I feel silly, but I've had a bad week and it just pushed me over the edge. Like I said, I got very fond of Scissors while I was nursing her back to health. She was so sweet and never bit the kids. I'd go in at night and bring her out to play with Tom and me. I feel really bad because I hadn't gone in to check on them in a few days, so I don't know how long she's been dead. Taylor checks on them in the mornings, but she had thought Scissors was sleeping.

I wrapped her in a paper towel and put her in a small gift bag to bury her in the backyard tonight when Tom gets home... which is in a few minutes actually. It's a sad day for us. Please pray for wisdom for how to talk to Chandler about this. And for me to quite weeping for a hamster. :)

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jaime said...

We had a hamster that looked a lot like Scissors. His name was Bear, but he was super sweet. Our other hamster, Honey, was rather a bear, though... :-)

Bear died unexpectedly, too. We were told to search through his cage and look for anything unusual. We found a small pencil (like you use when you play miniature golf) that had fallen in his cage and the lead has poisoned him. Maybe check Scissors' cage?

You know, this talk with Chandler could be a springboard to talking about what happens when we die and bringing in Jesus and salvation and such. We try to look for those opportunities all the time. It's a big concept.

I'm sorry it's been so hard for you... could be those pregnancy hormones... :-)

Stephanie said...

It's okay, hamsters deserved to be cried over too! :)

I'm not a weepy person by any means so Ted LOVES it when I'm pregnant because then I'll cry during the movies with him. :) Ted was reading a book to the kids the other night. I told him that I cried through that book and sure enough when the right page came Ted had to stop because he was crying too. It was cute!

Anonymous said...

Awww, poor kiddos, poor mama! (((hug))) How upsetting :(