Thursday, August 23, 2007

I made challah!

Isn't it pretty?? :) This is my favorite kind of bread to make, it's a Jewish bread that is slightly sweeter than regular bread and made with eggs to make it very moist and dense. It is traditionally served on Sabbat in the braided form and on holidays like Rosh Hashanah it's curled into round loaves with golden raisins.

Tom has decreed that I can never buy store bread again. :) He said it's the best bread he's ever had. I ended up making two loaves yesterday just so he could take one to work to munch on and have the other for our lunch. :) The kids love it too. It made great sandwiches. It also makes wonderful french toast! But the very best way to eat it is fresh from the oven with butter and honey all over the crunchy end piece. Mmmmm... I'm making myself hungry. I think I need to make another loaf. :)

I realise this isn't a picture of the kids. My mil, Pam relies on this blog to get her fix of grandkids from so far away. Truth be told, I'm a little burned out on picture taking at the moment. So there's no pictures to post. And really, not much has been going on. We're about to start school and I'm getting the house organized and everything ready for that.

We had a great family night about a week ago. We went to Johnny Carino's for dinner -- the italian bread pudding for dessert was heavenly -- and then played a game of putt putt together. It was a fun evening.

Taylor started soccer this past week. Everyone was repooled, meaning scrambled up and reassigned teams. The coach's wife from the Firecrackers had told me that they'd decided not to do that anymore so I was expecting Taylor to be be with her same coach and team. We were both surprised and very sad. She was on a GREAT team the last two seasons and they did so well. Her new team is the Super Stars. The team is shaping up and looks to have promise. The coach I recognize from a team we played last year. This coach wasn't the most controlled or good sportsman like on the sidelines. We have no problem requesting to be reassigned, so I hope he controls himself better this year.

Taylor also started back with her piano lessons. I was very relaxed on her practicing during the summer because we were so busy. But she remembered everything and her teacher said she did wonderful to having been off for 21/2 months.

Other than that, it's been a boring past couple of weeks. ELO starts the second week of September and the kids are so excited. I'm excited too.... the summer activities dwindled off after the first of August so I'm ready my busy fall schedule. I don't do boring. :) I guess that's why I got back into bread baking. Lack of places to go and things to do. :)

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Looks yummy! And sounds really yummy with butter and honey! MMMMMMM... :-)

Stephanie said...

I want some!!!!!!!! If I had you I wouldn't buy bread from the store either. Bread. Yum. Are you going to post the recipe for that too?

The Peacock Pearl said...

where are the sesame seeds! the bread in israel always had sesame seeds.. i miss jerusalem. i need a falafel quick! and a shabbat dinner. and the red sunset... ok gotta go look at my israel pictures now.